This official Cambridge Assessment English exam recognised internationally by companies and educational institutions demonstrates an advanced level of English (Level C1 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages). It is often required for studying in an English-speaking country or for jobs requiring fluency in English.
To pass, you need to get 60%, for which you'll be awarded the Cambridge Assessment English certificate. If you don't pass but get between 45% and 59%, you’ll get a certificate stating the level you achieved.
Why take the exam?
There are many reasons for doing the C1 Advanced exam, including that it:
- Is recognised by companies, public and private organisations as well as educational institutions worldwide, and amongst them the best universities in Australia, USA, UK and Europe.
- It may be used to apply to universities and to ask for visas.
- Increases motivation for studying English through goal setting and making visible progress.
- Recognises progress with an official Cambridge Assessment English certificate.
What's in the exam?
There are four parts to the exam:
- Reading and use of English (grammar and vocabulary) – 1 hour 30 minutes
- Writing – 1 hour 30 minutes
- Listening – 40 minutes
- Speaking in pairs – 15 minutes
You can do the speaking part with a friend or classmate also sitting the C1 Advanced exam.
Preparing for the exam
If you're a Cambridge School student in a C1 Advanced level course, you'll know if you're ready to do the exam because, as part of the course, in the second and third term, you'll do a mock exam to test your level. If you get over 65% on this test, you can enrol to do official exam.
We also offer special preparation courses for the C1 Advanced exam at reduced prices for Cambridge School students. These are intensive courses available in summer and autumn. In these courses, you learn exam techniques, prepare written essays similar to those in the exam and do a total of 4 full mock exams in class and as homework.
Plus, for candidates enrolled in the exam, we do an additional mock exam (free for Cambridge School students) three weeks prior to the real exam, which is a fantastic opportunity to get in some more practice before the exam.
Price and exam dates
The exam costs €210.
The exam is held three times a year: in June, July and December. All exams are held at Granollers.
For exact dates, see the exam calendar in the "Official exams" section.